Subject: Re: Startup problems on Redhat 7.0
From: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 07:44:19 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cheng-Jih Chen" <cjc,AT,cjc,DOT,org>
To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 4:56 PM
Subject: Startup problems on Redhat 7.0

> Redhat 7.0 apparently includes cipe-1.4 in the distribution.
> I'm starting to play with it, because we need to set up a VPN to a
> new remote office sometime next month.
>
> I'm having problems starting up ciped, however.  Can anyone help?
> lsmod shows me that cipcb is loaded.  When I run the startup command,
> I get the following:
>
> # ./ciped start
> Starting CIPE: opendev: SIOCSIFDSTADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> CIPE daemon vers 20000702 (c) Olaf Titz 1996-2000
> key=(secret)
> debug=yes
> ipaddr=0.0.0.0
> ptpaddr=0.0.0.0
> mtu=0
> metric=0
> me=10.0.0.87:9999
> peer=0.0.0.0:9999
> device=(none)
> nokey=no
> socks=
> tokxc=0
> tokey=0
> ipup=(none)
> ipdown=(none)
> arg=(none)
> cttl=0
> maxerr=-1
> tokxts=0
> ping=0
> toping=0
> dynip=no
> Using cipcb0 index 0
> [FAILED]
>
> My options file is:
>
> # The static key. Keep this file secret!
> # The key is 128 bits in hexadecimal notation.
> key             (key)
>
> # You shouldn't have to modify anything past this point.
>
> # The peer's IP address.
> ptpaddr         192.168.2.1
> # Our CIPE device's IP address.
> ipaddr          192.168.1.1
>
> maxerr          -1
> # Without a "device" line, the device is picked dynamically.
> #device         cipcb0
>
> # My UDP address. Note: if you set port 0 here, the system will pick
> # one and tell it to you via the ip-up script. Same holds for IP 0.0.0.0.
> me              cipe1.cipe.box:4444
> # ...and the UDP address we connect to. Of course no wildcards here.
> peer            gate.there.box:4444
>
> debug 3

If you are using the RedHat-supplied /etc/rc.d/init.d/ciped script
to start up, note that it pulls all the variables except the key from
the /etc/sysconfig/cipe file and puts them on the command line
which will override anything in /etc/cipe/options.   So far I
haven't found any documention or mention of a GUI config utility
that might explain the reason for this.

  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com