Subject: DNS lookup by cipe?
From: Mike Gende <mgende,AT,gendesign,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:34:03 +0200

Manuel Abrecht wrote:

> Hello
>
> i need to connect two private networks together which are each
connected to
> the internet by linux routers with dynamic ip adresses. This routers
will
> be acessible via valid hostnames registered by DHIS server.

This sounds like what we do for some of our customers. They have PPP
dial up
(obviously dynamic IP addresses) but we use EasyDNS to dynamically map
that to
static host names (though there is about a 15 minute time lag, only a
potential
problem when initially starting the link). We then use the static name,
like
www.storename.com, in the options.cipbx files.

> Is it possible to place hostnames instead of the ip adresses in the
cipe
> configuration files and make cipe ask bind for their ip adresses?

Yes, you should be able to. This also helps deal with the problems that
would
otherwise arise in attempting to keep Cipe up when the two end points
are dynamic
(though Cipe handles that while the link is up). Again, though, be
mindfull of
the lag between your routers' getting a new IP address and bind having
access to
it (depends on how your are getting that information out and, again,
only an
issue when one or both sides go down and up).