Subject: Re: Vtund for Windows
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dkw,AT,rcm,DOT,bm>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:19:05 +0200

Hi, Alex

Firstly, I think CIPE is just fine and consider it VERY stable. I liked it
so much that I both implemented the corporate VPN using it and I wrote the
Windows NT port as well.

That said, I think that VTun does have a number of features lacking in CIPE
and that a Windows port would be well received indeed. While I am not
willing to write the whole thing, the virtual network adapter driver used
by Cipe-Win32 is not dependent on CIPE. That is, the adapter driver should
be usable by any virtual network software. Right now I am addressing some
shortcomings of the existing driver pointed out by the CIPE and VTUN
communities that prevent acceptance of the driver for use as a generic
Win32 network tunnel.

I think that, once I implement CIPE-Win32 with the new driver (non-polling,
I/O based instead of polled shared memory), Work on the VTUN port should
proceed pretty easily, probably by one or two of the existing VTUN
developers, as no more kernel-mode code would have to be written.
Don't worry, though, I'm writing code for it right now !

Hope that helps,

Damion K. WilSON