Subject: can't transmit files larger than about 1K to remote machine
From: Cheng-Jih Chen <cjc,AT,cjc,DOT,org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:51:36 +0200

Thanks to all who responded a week or so ago, about starting CIPE on
RedHat 7.0.

I'm now having problems getting files larger than about 1K on one side
of the CIPE VPN.

Here's a schematic of the setup:

    Network A

    CIPE machine A

    Internet

    CIPE machine B

    Network B

Machines in A can see machines in B without any obvious problems.
B includes both the CIPE machine and Network B.

CIPE machine B can see everything in A, including Network A and CIPE
machine A, without obvious problems.  Files can be transmitted between
CIPE machine B and everywhere else without problems.

Machine in Network B can reach Network A via ping, telnet, ftp, http, etc.
However, if I try moving a file larger than 1114 bytes from Network A
to Network B, I fail with nothing being transmitted.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  Thanks.  This is on kernel
2.2.16, cipe 1.4.3.

Here are the /etc/cipe/options file from CIPE machine B:

 # The static key. Keep this file secret!
 # The key is 128 bits in hexadecimal notation.
 key             (foo)

 # You shouldn't have to modify anything past this point.

 # The peer's IP address.
 ptpaddr         10.99.0.1
 # Our CIPE device's IP address.
 ipaddr          10.99.0.2

 maxerr          -1
 # Without a "device" line, the device is picked dynamically.
 #device         cipcb0

 # My UDP address. Note: if you set port 0 here, the system will pick
 # one and tell it to you via the ip-up script. Same holds for IP 0.0.0.0.
 me              (my domain B):44444
 # ...and the UDP address we connect to. Of course no wildcards here.
 peer            (my domain A):44444

 # debug 3

 # other options

 # cttl = 64 to get traceroute to work
 cttl 64

Here's the file file A:

 # The static key. Keep this file secret!
 # The key is 128 bits in hexadecimal notation.
 key             (bar)

 # You shouldn't have to modify anything past this point.

 # The peer's IP address.
 ptpaddr         10.99.0.2
 # Our CIPE device's IP address.
 ipaddr          10.99.0.1

 #maxerr         -1
 # Without a "device" line, the device is picked dynamically.
 #device         cipcb0

 # My UDP address. Note: if you set port 0 here, the system will pick
 # one and tell it to you via the ip-up script. Same holds for IP 0.0.0.0.
 me              (my network A):44444
 # ...and the UDP address we connect to. Of course no wildcards here.
 peer            (my network B):44444

 # debug 3