<< | Thread Index | >> ]    [ << | Date Index | >> ]

Subject: Re: Maximum devices
From: Nate Golnik <nate,AT,redhat,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:50:26 +0200
In-reply-to: <E13mE5h-0001VM-00@g212.hadiko.de>

> > I have a need for many cipe connections to a server.  I went in and
> > changed the maximum number of devices from 100 to 300 in the code.  We
> > allow the devices to assigned dynamically.  This worked up until cipcb180
> > then dynamically it won't assign anymore.  If I put in device cipcb181 in
> > the options file it will bring up the device.  Does anyone have any ideas
> > how to make it work dynamically?
> 
> I can't reproduce that. I'd need more info on exact kernel and CIPE
> version, and please try the attached patch which emits a warning in
> case that this is a simple kmalloc failure.
> 
> Olaf
> 

I figured out part of the problem.  For some reason the device cipcb125
had hung.  I killed cipe and the device stayed.  I tried to remove the
module and it wouldn't let me.  Since we were noticing other problems on
the box we decided a reboot was in order.  When it came back up everything
was fine.  I'm going to add your patch anyway just to make sure there
aren't any future problems. I was using 2.2.16-22 from Red Hat 7 and I was
running the cipe version we ship, plus the modifications to fix the number
of devices.

-- 

Nate Golnik                     Phone:  547-0012 x382
        Red Hat System Administrator
"The only good thing about beating your head against
a brick wall is... it feels good when you stop"





<< | Thread Index | >> ]    [ << | Date Index | >> ]