Subject: Re: Maximum devices
From: Olaf Titz <olaf,AT,bigred,DOT,inka,DOT,de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:41:30 +0200

> I figured out part of the problem.  For some reason the device cipcb125
> had hung.  I killed cipe and the device stayed.  I tried to remove the
> module and it wouldn't let me.  Since we were noticing other problems on
> the box we decided a reboot was in order.  When it came back up everything

This is a "should never happen" situation. Wonder whether the kernel
had OOPSed beforehand.

Since CIPE 1.4.0 it is possible to try "ifconfig cipcb125 down" and
unload the module in this situation which will give a kernel warning
message (lines 413ff in device.c) but this is more of a debug path.
When such things happen in a production machine I would definitely
reboot (as with any kernel OOPS, for that matter).

Olaf