Subject: Re: cipe for win 32
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dkw,AT,rcm,DOT,bm>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:02:15 +0100

I can't really tell on the face of it. You'll have to learn some basic
route debugging techniques.

Using ping or traceroute is normally the way to go. Pinging the local port
address is a good idea on Unix but not on Windows. Pinging a local
interface address does not cause any network verification, tcpip doesn't
send it to the driver or anything. Start by pinging the ptp peer, if that
fails then the VPN isn't working. Next try the first hop, debug that route
if it fails, then try the next further hop, etc. It's important to note
that pings, etc are ROUND TRIP operations. That means that each computer
involved needs to know the way to the other, i.e. for me to visit you, I
need the directions to your house and for you to visit me, you need
completely different directions to get you to my house.

TCP/IP routing is difficult to teach on a mailing list assuming you're a
novice at it. There are some good resources on the web. If the Cipe peers
are communicating with each other, then the routing issues might be outside
the scope of this mailing list if the routing issue is too complicated (I
don't think that it is, though).

Try and figure out which hop/s is/are failing and post another message with
that info.