Subject: Re: Possible corruption over non-encrypted link ?
From: Olaf Titz <olaf,AT,bigred,DOT,inka,DOT,de>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:23:01 +0100

> >From a cursory look at the code, it appears that UDP checksumming is
> turned off, as CIPE normally checks the packets anyway, however with
> nokey this isn't done and bad packets may slip through. Is this the case ?

Yes, this is true. I didn't think about that issue at all when I wrote
that code, and I never used nokey for anything but testing...

See the recently posted patch to do checksumming.

> I had thought in cases where security was not a concern, running w/o
> encryption could speed things up, one of the machines under test was
> a 486/33 with 16M RAM, full HD, and 16450 UART, so could do with
> a lightened load !

The original CIPE development machine was a 386/25, and the first
version did only IDEA (which is slower than Blowfish). :-)

Olaf