Subject: Re: CIPE-win32 v2.0-pre2 -> CIPE 1.4.3 = frame errors
From: Michael Kelly <mjk,AT,art-render,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:42:46 +0100

Ville Voipio wrote:
> The next steps I suggest:
>
> 1. Try tcpdumping the cipcb2 -interface. Are there any packets?
tcpdump ... -i cipcb2 returns
tcpdump: unknown physical layer type 0x300

> 2. Start cip-cb with debug = true. That will allow you to see key exchange
> messages and possible other complaints.
>
> 3. Try pinging the other way round (from the Linux machine). tcp/windump the
> activity in both ends. Is the ping received by the W2k laptop on UDP or CIPE
> level?
windump will not open either the PPP i/f or the CIPE i/f.

I made a dialup connection and then inserted the allocated IP address
into the cipe options file on the linux box and also set debug to yes.
I then started ciped-cb and tried to ping the laptop VPN address
(192.168.4.132).

I get lots of
KX: [NK_REQ] sending NK_IND xxxxxxxx
messages and /var/log/messages shows a sequence of
... cipcb2: sendmsg
... cipcb2: setkey
... cipcb2: recvmsg
entries.

Judging by the 'activity light' in the PPP icon on the laptop's taksbar,
I'm pretty sure that the packets are getting through at least to the PPP
i/f and tcpdump does show that the packets are destined for the 'real'
IP address.

Other oddities which may or may not be related to my problem.
Setting nokey to yes on the linux seems to have no effect. All the
outgoing packets appear to be encrypted.

Setting cipher = NONE on the W2K system causes it to send pings as 60
byte UDP packets which CIPE on the linux box regards as invalid because
(AFAICS) the length is not a multiple of blockSize (8 bytes?).

Has _anybody_ out there actually got CIPE on Windows 2000 talking to
CIPE on linux?

Regards,

Michael.