Subject: aggregating multiple cipe links
From: Truxton Fulton <trux,AT,truxton,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 06:37:28 +0100

Hello,

I have multiple internet connections: a few modems and a satellite
downlink.  I use cipe over each connection to establish secure
routes between my home machine and a remote machine.  I wish
to bundle these multiple cipe connections into a single virtual
channel with larger bandwidth capacity.

I have experimented with the TEQL queueing discipline in the Linux
kernel, but my resulting bandwidth seems to be the _average_ of
my individual channels rather than the sum.

The TEQL documentation says it will handle interfaces of varying
bandwidths, but it requires that :

   1. Slave devices MUST be active devices, i.e., they must raise the tbusy
      signal and generate EOI events. If you want to equalize virtual devices
      like tunnels, use a normal eql device.

It looks like cipe deals with the tbusy signal.  I'm not sure if cipe
qualifies as an "active" device.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?  I cannot find the
user-space programs needed by EQL (eql_enslave.c), so I cannot test it.

I suppose cipe itself could handle multiple routes between two endpoints
and deal with splitting and rejoining a packet stream on both ends.
I may decide to take this approach (extending cipe) if TEQL or EQL
cannot be made to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

-Truxton