Subject: Re: Right Direction???
From: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:49:27 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <SBNelson,AT,thermeon,DOT,com>
To: <gavinp,AT,onecdi,DOT,com>; <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 8:31 AM

This will work fine, as long as you control both gateway systems.  We use
this ourselves.  We have tried to use Freeswan when we needed to connect to
another IPSEC system, but we were never able to make that work (no
compatible protocol between the two systems).  Technically, I don't see an
advantage of using UDP vs. IPSEC's (I can't remember the name) protocol
(they don't use TCP), but CIPE is much simpler.

Freeswan will only use triple-DES which may not be available or may
be an extra-cost license on some other endpoints.

The advantage of using UDP there is less configuration to do to get
the tunnel packets through firewalls and it can survive NAT without
any problems.

       Les Mikesell
          lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com