Subject: Cipe through firewalls
From: "Erdely, Michael" <mike-lists,AT,erdelynet,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:54:29 +0100

I have a question about getting Cipe to work through firewalls.

I want to be able to connect to my home network through the Internet from my
office PC.

At home, I'm connected to the Internet with a cable modem.  I have a NAT
firewall that I have control of.  The public IP of the firewall is a.b.c.d.
The private address of the firewall is 192.168.25.1.  My Windows 2000 Pro
machine running CIPE inside the firewall has an IP Address of 192.168.25.20.
I can redirect any UDP ports from the firewall to the Win2k Machine that I'd
need.

At work, I'm behind a NAT firewall that I _don't_ control.  I have no
guarantees as to what my public ip address will be leaving this place.  I
want to initiate the CIPE connection from my docked Windows 2000 Pro laptop.

So...  I guess the first question is: will this scenario work?

If yes, the second question is how do I set up the CIPE settings on each
end?

Thanks for your help.
Mike Erdely
mailto:mike,AT,erdelynet,DOT,com
http://mike.erdelynet.com/

PS: If you're going to reply to me, please reply to
mike,AT,erdelynet,DOT,com,DOT,