Subject: Re: Final resort CIPE routing question
From: Sven Schulthei▀ <schultheiss,AT,steinbeis-europa,DOT,de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:03:45 +0100

Yannick Vansevenant schrieb:

> Okay, the CIPE tunnel works, but the routing from the cipe interface to the
> internal ethernet network not ...
> If I understand correctly, if the forwarding flag is active in the kernel
> and ipchains does not block, a transfer of 192.168.0.252 to 192.168.0.18
> would take place automatically ?
>
> Is this logical ? Forwarding on the same subnet automatically ?

As far as I understand it, IP forwarding activates the routing between
the network cards. Every packet that comes out of the Cipe tunnel and
which destination adress is not the Cipe gateway will be routed through
your gateway into the right net.

> Or do I need to modify the cipcb0 netmask to not include any addresses of
> the real internal network so that the kernel will decide to do the forward
> ??? If this is the case, how do I change the netmask of the cipe interface ?

No. See above.

> Or is all this wrong and do I need to investigate my ipchains settings ?

Just for santinity: check if IP-forwarding is active (cat
/proc/sys/net/.....)
If it is active check your firewall logs. Check the ipchains rules on
eht1.

Sven