Subject: Re: cipe win32 pre6 bsod
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dkw,AT,rcm,DOT,bm>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:08:15 +0100

No, don't try pre5. That'll do the same thing.

I'm having some problems with spinlocking or something during the exchange
of packets from usermode to kernelmode and/or vice versa. It doesn't always
happen and on some installations it doesn't happen at all (In fact, it's
infrequent enough that I can't establish enough of a pattern to debug it).
I'm having extreme difficulty tracking down why this happens.

Instead, use the old, Beta 11 version. It uses a polling, shared memory
approach to packet passing and doesn't have the IRQL problem. I'm using it
in production at remote office locations and it never has any problems. The
only caveat is that it is a little slower (because it's polled)

Damion K. Wilson

On 2/8/01 at 5:28 PM straycat,AT,zen,DOT,eds,DOT,org wrote:

>Hi Damon,
>
>I installed CIPE-Win32 pre6, configured it, rebooted, etc, etc
>
>First, the service hangs at startup or so the NT eventviewer says.  I
never trusted that app to be any more useful than someone pointing their
finger at me
>and laughing.  So I set the service to Manual.  That solved that.  No
biggie.

>Okay, well, I ignored that b/c traffic is going through the CIPE tunnel.
>
>I'm using CIPE to set up a VPN for H.323 VoIP but right now, I'm just
evaluating it in a lab environment.  So about halfway through a call, I get
a BSOD.

>Now, of course, even though my System settings say write the contents to
%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP, that never happened.