Subject: Re: CIPE for Windows 2K
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dkw,AT,rcm,DOT,bm>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:59:16 +0100

Gee, I thought with a title like "Internet Consultant", you'd at least have
written some Perl code or something !

The static key is simply a 128 bit number given as 16 hexadecimal digits

These "static" keys are used to encrypt the initial communication between
the peers. They must be identical for each pair of hosts. You can generate
the 128 bit value any way you like but you must type it in in hex.

There is a slight conceptual difference between the two setups, this having
to do more with how Windows wants its network interfaces setup. On Linux, a
single adapter instance is setup for each peer on the fly. Windows prefers
an interface to exist at boot unless it's a RAS device (and even then it
still invisibly exists). Also, Linux CIPE has a process to handle each
peer. On Windows, too many processes is a no no, so I handle everything in
one "service". Because of these two factors, I let a single adapter handle
whichever peers the subnet mask allows.

This requires that you setup zero or more peers per adapter, and thus, the
user interface. All that aside, the peer configuration information in
CIPE-Win32 is the same as that found in an options-cipcb[n] in CIPE.