Subject: Re: cipe won't answer arp requests for its interface?
From: James Ralston <qralston+ml.cipe-l,AT,andrew,DOT,cmu,DOT,edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:14:49 +0100

On 21 Mar 2001, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Unless things have changed in very recent releases, you will find
> that the sample ip-up script, normally placed in /etc/cipe with the
> options file and run as part of ciped's initialization, contains
>
> # Proxy-ARP the peer's address on eth0
> #arp -i eth0 -Ds $5 eth0 pub
>
> Uncomment that line.  Your work machine will then arp for the home
> machine's address regardless of the interface's explicit NOARP.

Yup, that did the trick.  Thanks.

Is there some reason why that isn't the default?  It wasn't
particularly obvious that I needed to uncomment that line, particular
since the documentation didn't mention anything at all about arp...

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute