Subject: Re(2): Cipe over non-persistent links
From: SYLVAIN.COUTANT,AT,illicom,DOT,com
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:07:15 +0100

> I bring up cipe in my /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script and I bring it down
> (ifconfig cipcb0 down) in my /etc/ppp/ip-down.local script (redhat, but you
> can do the equiv. in other distributions).
>
> The only other piece is to make pppd re-dial when the link goes down.  I
> now
> use kppp to start my pppd to my ISP, but you could test to see if the
> persist option to pppd calls the ip-down and ip-up scripts appropriately.
> If not, you could write a shell script to put pppd into a loop.

If it could be as simple as that. But, as I written in my previous e-mail,
the ISDN connection is made through an external router, not through an
internal card ...

Perhaps I didn't explain my problem very well, sorry about this :(

The firewall never knows when the line is up or not. The line just goes up
when a packet is sent to any external address ... So cipe is always up and
I'd like it to be kept in this state as otherwise it would require a manual
user action to bring it down then back up again. This is what I'd like to
avoid. Currently users have to bring it down and up every 30 minutes, they're
firing me about this ;-)

The problem here is it seems cipe can't resync itself after a long period of
inactivity. Solution would involve regular cipe pings, but this would have
the side effect of keeping the ISDN line up everytime.

Regards,
Sylvain.