Subject: RE: can cipe handle encap. win neigborhood?
From: Ewan Bhamrah Harley <ewan,AT,searchspace,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:27:01 +0200

> I think (and please confirm this with someone more knowledgeable) that
> there needs to be a browse master in each subnet or a single
> browse master
> on one subnet with forwarded SMB broadcasts to/from the other subnet
> enabled.
>
> I've done this with Samba PDCs but not with NT. When we used
> an NT PDC I
> simply allowed the SMB broadcast packets to be forwarded to
> each subnet
> using a Cisco router.

As far as I'm aware, this is a general problem with browsing over subnets
which don't allow inter network broadcasts. We get similar problems over all
our subnets, independantly of whether they're connected using cipe or not.
An NT Wins server on each subnet, all replicating to each other, seems to do
the trick. I haven't used samba Wins servers for a while, but we used to do
this over two (cipe connected) subnets with Samba Wins servers each using
"Remote Announce" and "Remote Browse Sync" entries, which doesn't require
the router to forward SMB Broadcasts. We had some trouble setting it up but
worked fine once it was going. It all fell over when a third (NT only)
subnet appeared and we ended up moving all the Wins servers to NT at that
point.

----
Ewan