Subject: RE: can cipe handle encap. win neigborhood?
From: "Ed Padin" <ohdamnthathurts,AT,yahoo,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:05:39 +0200

The problem you are encountering is due to the fact that NetBios UDP
broadcasts are typically not forwarded through IP routers (including the
cipe VPN which is just a special type of router). Cisco routers can forward
UDP broadcasts using something called "ip helpers" but you have to be very
careful when configuring networks with multiple paths. It can lead to
broadcast storms.

The best solution is to employ the use of the WINS service on your NT PDC.
This would work well for you if you have an NT server but I'm not sure what
a good solution would be for sites without a server. If anyone knows of a
way to provide WINS without an NT server (short of using SAMBA) I would be
really interested in hearing about it. I think of I've heard of some VPN
products employing custom 'network neighborhood' proxies to resolve this
issue.