Subject: Re: CIPE-Win32 DHCP
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dkw,AT,rcm,DOT,bm>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:55:15 +0200

It appears that you've fallen into a thought  "bug" of sorts. I'll try to
explain

The Local and Remote IP addresses and ports are the communication endpoints
for the tunnel, the VPN "internals" if you will. The addresses used for
this must already exist and be working on the two hosts before CIPE is
installed. For instance, you should be able to ping each address from each
host.

CIPE wants to implement a new network, a virtual LAN which only has two
hosts on it. These hosts must have IP addresses and the Point to Point
(PTP) addresses are used for this.

It's important to note that the Windows TCP/IP setup dialog only cares
about the adapter itself ! It doesn't know anything about how the adapter
is implemented. The only place that you should see the Local and Remote IP
addresses/ports is in the CIPE configuration tool.

The gateway address is only used if you want the Peer to be used as a
default router. I've never used it.

Hope this helps. Try and read up a bit more on TCP/IP fundamentals like
subnets and routing, it may help clear up some of your questions.

>   o      _____           |  James A. N. Stauffer  | | Stauffer_James |
> .][__n_n_|DD[  ====____  | Spam food: uce,AT,ftc,DOT,gov | |
@yahoo.com   |
>_/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo  ooo  'o¬o¬o              o¬o¬o` 'o¬o
  o¬o`