Subject: Linux cipe as non-module?
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,asylum,DOT,xs4all,DOT,nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:26:15 +0200

Hi,

I don't remember (might have missed) reading any note on building cipe
into the kernel. I've been using cipe for quite some time now (even
routing financial transactions between ATM, POS, backoffice, etc) and
are more than happy. Personally I like things as simple as I can get
them (static routes, static server IP's, no kernel modules) and that has
kept the servers safe from more than one CERT anouncement. Would be nice
if cipe could be linked into the kernel.

So, did anybody ever recommend cipe to Linus or even attempted to get it
into the kernel tree? I think that cipe has more than deserved it's
place in there. Specially if I see a lot of other stuff in there that
does not even begin to make sense to me.

It's just an open thought as I've never seen much more of the kernel
than .../.config and .../Documentation (and then only some fragments). I
don't even have a lot of time, but it might be fun to help.

Peter