Subject: Re: Bridging two networks, need broadcast
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,asylum,DOT,xs4all,DOT,nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:25:33 +0200

Yo,

> I'll give it a shot, but remember, i need to be in the same broadcast
> domain which would require me to change the broadcast/netmask on every
> machine on the net. I have an adminstrator on one side that says one of
> her machines "cannot" have a gateway put in it... that the computer
> "doesnt support it" thus all the trouble i have to go through to make sure
> everything is in the same subnet/broadcast domain, and that broadcast
> traffic goes over the tunnel.

Just a little comment to everybody explaining sub-netting and routing
instead of bridging.
Although it's not common, there are machines that simply don't have the
possibility to enter any network gateway. An example are most security
devices used by banks etc. to encrypt their PIN and calculate message
MAC's on financial transactions (like the Racal 7100).

Then, if I remember correctly, there is the option to use cipe in
combination with Linux bridging since Cipe version 1.5 (I've never tried
to use it, so i don't know much more than this) in combination with
Linux 2.2.13 (when was bridging actually released :^?. If not, we know
who we can ask over couple of weeks if we need it ourselves ;^)

So, anyone out there anyone actually used cipe 1.5 with Linux bridging?

And (Rrrrrrrmm...) anyone interested in building cipe into the kernel
(Olaf...)?

CIAO, Peter