Subject: Re: Bridging two networks, need broadcast
From: "D A" <dabbleri,AT,hotmail,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 20:30:11 +0200

Greetings,

>So, anyone out there anyone actually used cipe 1.5 with Linux bridging?

Yes, I've been running CIPE 1.51 as "encrypting bridge" between two sites.
It works really well, everything (not including DOS print server, heh heh)
works for both sides of bridge. We use mainly IP and IPX. Windows SMB
clients / servers, novell IP / IPX clients & servers, proxy, internet and
everything else works for both buildings. Both are in same IP subnet.

Only thing causing problems right now are novell DOS print servers, looks
like there is some weird problem with CIPE & SPX & NOVELL DOS client... DOS
client keeps reporting that server has no free slots for connections :-)

It required some tweaking to CIPE source code to get everything
working.(good old "cipe_xmit size problem")

So, it really is possible to succesfully run an Ethernet bridge over CIPE.
Thanks to every and each of Cipe developers and contributors, you made me
happy :-)

One question thought: Is it possible to specify some option, which would
make ciped stay loaded even when cipbd0 interface gets disabled... its pain
in the ass when power gets cut from other site - bridge on other building
notices its partner has gone down and disables CIPE interface, that causes
ciped to unload itself... and bridge sure won't load cipe stuffs again when
interface gets enabled again!

(btw, I'm using this email addr for mailing lists, I've enough spam on my
real mailbox *grin* :-)