Subject: Re: CIPE VPN Adapter
From: Damion Wilson <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:16:49 +0200

Hi, Prakash

The driver is loaded (if it isn't already) in the class CipeServiceBase

In the cipdrvr.c routine AdapterCreate, which gets called to create a new
adapter instance,
a serially allocated MAC address is assigned to each new adapter. You can
see these when
you do an ipconfig /all. When the service opens a TAP device in the
constructor of CipeTapIO,
it retrieves the last MAC value + 1 used by the driver using the IOCTL
function GET_LAST_MAC.
This is then incremented for each CipePeer and assigned using the
CipeGenericIO::CopyMAC method

The IP address for the adapter is set using Windows Network Control Panel.

Reading and writing the adapter just requires opening the TAP device using
the Win32 Create() call
and using ReadFile and WriteFile. Any usermode program can do it, yes.

Hope that helps,

DKW