Subject: Re: cipe-win32-pre9 fix
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:46:08 +0200

Hi, Erik

I know exactly how you feel. In fact, It took me a long time to remove the
spinlock stuff because I wasn't convinced that they could even be the cause.
Then, after removing them, the stability increased. I still don't know why,
which is why I'm being so careful. Right now, the driver is the most stable
it's ever been, but it's still less stable than the (really) old version.

I'd prefer if you could tell me why the spinlocks are working for you. I know
what spinlocks are for, but I would like to have proof that there is a
pointer math overrun or something occurring to cause the crash. An easy way
of doing this is to add a reference counter to the list routines.

I'll try this stuff out when I get a chance, but right now I'm getting my
consulting company off the ground. Wish me luck :-)

BTW: Use the NT4.0 DDK for building so that the driver will run unmodified on
both platforms.