Subject: RE: CIPE VPN Adapter
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:59:39 +0200

I thought that it would be trivial to assign the MAC address from usermode,
but it's beginning to look as though the TCP/IP stack on Windows asks the
device driver for the MAC of an adapter once, when it "notices" the adapter,
and never asks it again. This presents difficulties because the device driver
will have to somehow defer answering that request until a usermode program
comes along and provides it with a MAC address. So, you see, having the
driver use an externally generated MAC address is now problem at all, but
getting Windows to pay attention to it is another story. I'm still
researching this, I'll let you know what I find. Hopefully I can just keep
telling TCP/IP to "go away and come back later".