Subject: Re: Packet compression
From: ewheeler,AT,kaico,DOT,com
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 01:22:28 +0200

On 27 May 2001, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> ewheeler,AT,kaico,DOT,com writes:
> > Would there be any appreciable performance increase over low bandwidth
> > lines if the packets were compressed using zlib before they were
> > encrypted?
>
> It doesn't do that much good.  But it helps a little.
>
> As a comparison point, experiment a bit with ssh, using different
> compression levels in .ssh/config, e.g.
>
> Host your.chosen.test.destination.host
>   Compression yes
>   CompressionLevel 9
>
> Try various digits, and do some large file copying over your slow link
> with scp.  Time the results.

I know this can help alot w/ ssh on plain text and the like but I was
wondering specifically about CIPE.  Could this be implemented inthe packet
encapsulation and would we see a performance increase accross low
bandwidth lines.    My guess is that it would;  I just took a block of
text:

[root@dev dev]# dd if=/var/log/messages bs=1400 count=1 | gzip -v9 | wc -c
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
 77.7%
    330

You can see that even for mall 1400 byte packets we can get a 77% size
cut.  Would it be feasible to implement this into CIPE?

--Eric