Subject: Re: First PPP or first CIPE?!
From: Marco Gaiarin <gaio,AT,sv,DOT,lnf,DOT,it>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:26:08 +0200

Mandi! Peter van den Heuvel
  In chel di` si favelave...

> You can pick any number(s) from the 100 that are available by default.
> Make sure you keep below 100 though.

No problem. ;)

> > + (i think the real problem) i've setup the network with the ippp0
> >   interfaces all the time up (isdnutils works in this manner), and also
> >   with cipcb5 interfaces all the time up, simply putting in
> >   ip-up-d/0cipe a ping to the remote end as documentation raccomand for
> >   dialup.
> Is the perfect way to run it IF you have a static IP. Otherwise (dynamic
> IP) I guess you have to do something if you (re)establish a connection
> (like routes and addresses). Check the list archive for some more info
> on dynaic IP's if that's what you got.

Mmmh... i think i've not explained well my situation.

I was used with ppp (plain analog modem ;), and in pppd world simply the
link goes up&down.

In ISDN (ipppd) instead, a ``fake link'' are ever up, listen for IP
packets and bring up&down the (real) connection when needed.
In this configuration, in ip-up scripts, there's only need to bring
down the defaultroute and setup a new one (standard isdnutils setup).

So i've also put cipe ever up, i don't bring up cipe interface in ip-up
and down in ip-down. This simplify my routing and firewall rules.

But clearly with this setup i cannot ``ping other end ASAP the
interface bring up'', simply i ping other end ASAP the ippp0 interface
got active. So in the ip-up script the firt thing i do is to setup
defaultrouting, the other is to setup firewalling rules (relative to
ippp0) and then to ping other end of the cipe interface.

Could be that if traffic to the remote private network goes out, this
pass thru cipe interface, got converted to ``internet traffic'' that
bring the ippp0 interface up. In this phase cipe send the initial
packets of data to the old ippp0 address, then this changed and this
(could?!) make the all thing (sometime) bad...

I say this because i've the feeling that if some local computer make
internet traffic, all goes OK because the first traffic passes to cipe
interface are the ping in ip-up scripts.

Instead if the traffic are destined to the private network, cipe start
the connection but get confused.

I repeat: i've the ``feeling'' of that. It is hard to debug!!! ;-)

...excuse for my english, i hope i'm more clear now.

--
dott. ing. Marco Gaiarin
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''      http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/

  Occhio al Genova Social Forum!!!                http://www.genoa-g8.org/