Subject: RE: bridge + cipe
From: ewheeler,AT,kaico,DOT,com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:13:31 +0200

Greg -- realize that I haven't done this exact scenario before, nor have I
actually used linux briding.  But if bridging works the way it's supposed
to this should work.

First, don't add any routes to the route table.  As I understand you
aren't using the internet and are simply using a wireless to ethernet
bridge on both ends which then need to be plugged into the linux-box
bridge.  Assuming that is correct, do this:
Site 1:
  eth0: lan (
  eth1: wireless (
Site 2:
  eth0: lan (
  eth1: wireless (
Now cipe-link via the and interfaces.  Then
bridge eth0+cipcb0 and eth0+cipcb0 at site1 and site2.

What I originally wrote you would have worked but it may have looked
ambiguous if you are infamiliar with 20-bit network addressing. Here I
have put you on the network to show easily that they are on
separate networks.  No additional routing should be necessicary so don't
execute any route commands after setting the IPs on the respective
interfaces.  Setup the cipe link as you would normal.  Make sure you can
ping from before you connect CIPE, and
that can ping after the cipe link is up.  I also
recomend at this point you clear ipchains/iptables to ensure that there
aren't any wierd filter rules which could mess things up:

ipchains -F
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t mangle -F

Of course if you're using ipchains you wouldn't be using iptables and

Once the eth0+cipcb0 and eth0+cipcb0 bridging on both systems is setup,
everything should work! (in theory)