Subject: RE: bridge + cipe
From: "Frater, Greg" <gjfrater,AT,bechtel,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:56:57 +0200

Eric,

I understand your scenario, I will try this.

However, I discovered that my CIPE config was inaccurate.  For some reason I
cannot get the ciped-db daemon to run now.  When I did get it to start my
options file was not right.  I was pointing my 'ipaddr' and 'me' addresses
to the same address.  I'm realizing that I don't have as good of a grasp on
this as I need.

Question:

When I specify the 'me' address in the options file is that what takes
traffic from the cipe interface (cipdb0) and puts it on the "WAN" interface
(eth1)?  I have been having trouble understanding how data gets from cipdb0
to whatever physical (eth1) interface I am wanting to use for the cipe link.
This is the only place I can see that tells the computer what to do with
cipdb0 traffic.

Problem:

Now that I have made changes to my options and ip-up files the ciped-db
daemon won't start.  I get this message in /var/log/messages:

...ciped-db[1423]: opendev: bind

I don't know what I did to create this error and putting everything back to
what I thought it was before doesn't eliminate it.  But I have been staring
at this stuff for a week and a half straight so I could have made a change
along the way that broke it and just don't remember.  Does anyone understand
this message?  Any thoughts?

TIA

Greg -- realize that I haven't done this exact scenario before, nor have I
actually used linux briding.  But if bridging works the way it's supposed
to this should work.

First, don't add any routes to the route table.  As I understand you
aren't using the internet and are simply using a wireless to ethernet
bridge on both ends which then need to be plugged into the linux-box
bridge.  Assuming that is correct, do this:

Site 1:
  eth0: lan (172.19.0.1/20)
  eth1: wireless (192.168.1.1/24)

Site 2:
  eth0: lan (172.19.0.2/20)
  eth1: wireless (192.168.1.2/24)

Now cipe-link via the 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.1.2/24 interfaces.  Then
bridge eth0+cipcb0 and eth0+cipcb0 at site1 and site2.

What I originally wrote you would have worked but it may have looked
ambiguous if you are infamiliar with 20-bit network addressing. Here I
have put you on the 192.168.1.0/24 network to show easily that they are on
separate networks.  No additional routing should be necessicary so don't
execute any route commands after setting the IPs on the respective
interfaces.  Setup the cipe link as you would normal.  Make sure you can
ping 192.168.1.1 from 192.168.1.2 before you connect CIPE, and
that 172.19.0.1 can ping 172.19.0.2 after the cipe link is up.  I also
recomend at this point you clear ipchains/iptables to ensure that there
aren't any wierd filter rules which could mess things up:

ipchains -F
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t mangle -F

Of course if you're using ipchains you wouldn't be using iptables and
vice-versal.

Once the eth0+cipcb0 and eth0+cipcb0 bridging on both systems is setup,
everything should work! (in theory)

--Eric