Subject: Re: CIPE on WinNT behind Linux Firewall ...
From: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:55:54 +0200

This is kind of off-topic, but one way to deal with lack of
Linux expertise at remote locations is to drop in the
distribution from http://www.e-smith.net.  There is a
free download version or you can buy it with support.
It is essentially a RedHat 6.2 base with almost everything
removed except what you need to make an office file/print
server (windows and mac) and an internet gateway.   You
answer a few questions during a scripted install, then all
admin is done through a web interface that does not require
any unix/linux knowledge.

Ipsec tunnels have been added and are in the contributed rpm
section of the downloads.   I'm just setting up one with CIPE
now because it is in a building behind another NAT/firewall
and it is just a matter of dropping in an RPM built for RH 6.2
and adding it's rc.d entry to /etc/rc.d/rc7.d (oddly, e-smith uses
runlevel 7 for normal operation), and I always undo the RH
use of /etc/sysconfig values for cipe and put them all in the
/etc/cipe/options file.    This may not change anyone's mind
about using NT, but I'd like to know if anyone else has used
cipe with e-smith or considered adding a setup page for their
web administration.

  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com