Subject: Re: Keeping CIPE link Up
From: Scott Sharkey <ssharkey,AT,linux-no-limits,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:35:05 +0200

More info on my problems with a CIPE VPN...

In my last message, I mentioned that I had two RH 7.1 boxes, each
running 1.4.5 CIPE.  They were behind firewalls, and had been working,
but periodically timing out.  Well, recently the behaviour changed.

NOW, they are not working.  But the circumstances are wierd.  If I ping
from one end of the CIPE pipe to the other (doesn't matter in which
direction), exactly one ping get's through round-trip.  The opposite
side sees all the pings, and is apparently responding.  But only the
first packet is actually getting through.

I took down the CIPE, and tried netcat on the two ends, and I can
communication using it, with either end being the "server",
so I don't think it's a firewall issue.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Remember, at one time this was working
fine.  No patches have been installed on either machine, and the
machine configurations have not been changed.  The firewall guys
claim that they have made no changes, but I cannot verify that.

thanks!
-Scott