Subject: Any good route-managment ideas?
From: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:12:17 +0200

I find my use of CIPE is leading towards little 'islands'
that have varying degrees of isolation and almost
arbitrary needs to access certain hosts in other places.
Currently I am mostly installing host routes to specific
machines at a central location (which has full network
routes to everything) as the CIPE tunnel comes up but
that makes it cumbersome to make changes to the remotely
accessible services and isn't all that secure, at least against
someone with root access at the remote endpoint.

Does anyone have a better solution?   The best I can think
of would be a tool that controlled both a routing protocol
over the tunnels to announce to the remote ends what
they should send and a firewall like ipchains to control
what is allowed to come through.    I guess this is off-topic
for CIPE because the tunnel is really just another ptp interface
will all the same issues, but I'll probably end up with more
remote Linux office-in-a-box type servers with CIPE than
real routers soon.

      Les Mikesell
         lesmikesell,AT,home,DOT,com