Subject: looped route
From: Geir Sjurseth <geir,AT,netch,DOT,se>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:52:42 +0200

Hi... I am trying to setup pkcipe on two linux boxes. One is running RH
7.1 with kernel 2.4.6 and the other progeny/debian running 2.4.3.  I am
trying to connect my home (debian) machine to my office network (redhat)
over my adsl connection.

At work:
In my /etc/cipe/pk directory I have a file named after my home machine.
It contains the key and then the following:
ipaddr  10.10.1.1
ptpaddr 10.10.2.1

At home:
In my /etc/cipe/pk directory I have a file named after the work machine.
It contains the key and then the following:
ipaddr  10.10.2.1
ptpaddr 10.10.1.1

The connection establishes fine and the ip-up script appears to be
working.  If I run netstat -rn I see that I have a route to my the network
address of the subnet at work and it is going through 10.10.1.1.  I think
it all looks right to my untrained eye.  I have played with the firewall
settings and made sure that forwarding is on both in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and with iptables...

Whenever I try to ping any machine on my work's subnet I see in the log
files:  looped route.  What am I doing wrong?  Have I misunderstood
something?  I cannot ping 10.10.1.1 either, and neither can I ping
10.10.2.1 from work when everything is setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geir

--
Geir Sjurseth && System Administrator