Subject: Setup/routing question with cipe
From: "Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul,AT,umr,DOT,edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:45:20 +0200

To start off with - I have the cipe link up and running, and a route from
the server pkcipe side to the client (i.e. ping shows up on client). The
goal is to make use of a VPN to have use of static IP addresses.

Server:
        CIPE-10.0.2.1
        NET-A

Client-LAN:
        NET-B

Client-WAN:
        CIPE-10.0.1.1
        NET-C (cable modem)

LanStation:
        NET-C

I have a single semi-dynamic IP on Net-C that virtually never changes. It is
a DHCP assigned address and default route.

I would like ALL traffic to go over the CIPE link to the server.

In my if-up script on the server, I route LAN/NET-B traffic to 10.0.1.1, and
set up the proxy arp.

Would I now need to:
        a. Drop the default route on the Client going to cable-modem gateway
        b. Add a single host route for the Server pointing at the
cable-modem gateway

Is there any nice way of doing this other than hardwiring the cable modem
gateway and hardwiring the drop of the script?

I'd really prefer to be able to say:
        On Client: Route all traffic from Net-C over CIPE, but everything
else use default.

i.e. any traffic from the router itself would go over default route, but the
'forwarded' traffic would go over cipe. Is there any way to do this with
ipchains rules?

Suggestions? Am I on the right track here?

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul,AT,umr,DOT,edu