Subject: Re: question on make install
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,asylum,DOT,xs4all,DOT,nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:15:55 +0200

Yo!

> hi all. when i do a "make install", i get the following:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `cipe.texinfo', needed by `cipe.info'.
>Stop.
>
> anybody know what i may be missing, so that configure wouldn't generate this
> target in the Makefile?
Same thing for me. It does make install all the essentials though. Yet I
hate to install a ton of military grade typesetting packages to compile
a single kernel module. I bet it would get away with a fair share of
RTFM questions on the list if there was just a simple HELP.TXT file.

However nice all the hyper-stuff looks, my favorite form of
documentation is still one huge directory with .txt files. All you need
to do is "grep forward *" to find out all about port forwarding. I do
admit that you can also install html pages, apache, htdig, netscape, but
that is not quite conveniant on a some small backwater router-box you're
sometimes working on.

NOTE: This is not a complaint, just one opinion. I DO appreciate all the
effort.

So, what would be nice:
1) Detect the required documentation software in configure.
2) Always generate the .txt and the rest based on the configure results
3) Place an actual .txt and maybe even .html on the web-page

CIAO, Peter