Subject: Re: Not encrypting
From: Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh,AT,earth,DOT,li>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:30:34 +0200

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Jari Meklin wrote:

> But - when sniffering the outgoing telnet frames i can see my password.
> IMNM (In My Newbies's Mind) I thought I wouldn't because the frames should
> be encrypted. Am I missing something here?

Are you sniffing them on a machine other than the machine you're
connecting from or to? If not, make sure you're sniffing the underlying
interface and not the CIPE interface. What CIPE does is translate packets
that are sent over the CIPE interface into encrypted packets that are
actually sent over the network on the underlying interface. So if you
sniff the CIPE interface on either the source or destination machine, you
will see the telnet packets unencrypted. If you sniff the underlying
network, you should just see some unintelligible UDP frames.

Cheers,

Ganesh