Subject: RE: CIPE Config question
From: Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh,AT,earth,DOT,li>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:07:13 +0200

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Phil Barbier wrote:

> I have a laptop plugged into the hub which sits on the 192.168.30
> network (the hub connects the 213.130.129 cards), which is the cipe
> link, are you suggesting I try sniffing on the actual IPs of the eth
> devices, and not the CIPE devices?

Yep.

> My understanding of the VPN idea, and also the implementation of CIPE is a
> little hazy.

The CIPE devices are sort of "virtual" devices which unencrypted traffic
is sent to. They then encrypt it and send it over the real, physical
devices, and the CIPE device at the other end unencrypts it. So if you
sniff those devices you will see unencrypted traffic, but if you sniff the
physical devices you won't.

Someone else asked an almost identical question on the list just a little
while ago, I suggest you check the archive for the explanations I and
others gave then too.

Cheers,

Ganesh