Subject: Re: Proposal: Compression of large packets
From: ewheeler,AT,kaico,DOT,com
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:11:24 +0100

I agree: We should find out which bit we could use for zpackets from
Olaf.  For the moment, would it be kosher to just use one arbitrarily for
dev purposes?

For configuring the compression of packets, there should be an option that
reads: if length(zpacket) is X% less than length(packet), send
zpacket; else send packet.

This would add considerable latency, but it could be coupled with 'and
length(packet) > 100' or some such thing.  It may also make sense to check
the TOS flag.  If the packet is flagged 'Minimize-Delay 16 (0x10) (from
iptables)', then never compress.  That way we do our best to compress
everything, and let minimum delay packets through as fast as possible.

--

Eric Wheeler
Network Administrator