Subject: Re: Proposal: Compression of large packets: fragmentation
From: ewheeler,AT,kaico,DOT,com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:13:11 +0100

If we send a packet > than some router's MTU, it will get fragmented.  If
we drop a fragment, the entirepacket needs retransmitted.

Questions:

1. Does cipe already handle this?
2. Will adding compression to skb->data before crypto complicate this
matter?
3.  Is there a way to find the max MTU for a specific route?  If I have a
site in redmond, and portland, I would like to set the MTU to the maximum
non-fragmenting size; so the router whose MTU is the smallest.
4.  I have w2k/9x systems using WINS to connect over a CIPE connected
VPN.  Would setting the workstations on either end of the VPN to
1442 reduce fragmentation and decrease latency due to fragmented
packets?  Would there be any side effects to this?

--

Eric Wheeler
Network Administrator