Subject: No Subject
From: mcaldwel,AT,starband,DOT,net
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:03:40 +0100

Received by romulus.spotswood.home; Tue, 11 Dec 2001 01:38:22 -0500
From: "Mike Caldwell" <mcaldwel,AT,starband,DOT,net>
To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: RE:
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 01:42:57 -0500

    I do value my time, which is why I'm not wasting any more of it on
Windows 2000.  I've already spent several days just trying to get a simple
gateway setup to share my home network.  I've been using Debian w/ IP
Masquerade for years, but I just recently got some Windows-only acceleration
software crammed down my throat by my ISP (Starband).  I've got a P166
w/64MB RAM, which is kind of weak, but it should be enough to run Win2K Pro
with two NIC's.  It just wouldn't work though, so I'm back to Debian.

    Without their acceleration software things pretty well suck, so I've
temporarily got it running on Win98SE in a Win4Lin session on Debian, and it
works great...for the Windows session.  I just have no way of networking it
to Linux (or the rest of my home network).  The acceleration software binds
to a single Ethernet interface, and drops any TCP traffic on that interface
that isn't coming through the accelerator.

    The problem with Win4Lin is that it only supports one interface, so I'm
pretty well stuck right now.  I need a second interface, and PPTP won't
work, PPPoE won't work, IPSEC won't work.  I think CIPE is the only thing
that could work because it's UDP, and it looks like a real Ethernet
interface (pretty much a requirement for Windows NAT software).

    I could shell out $500 for a new machine, and $300 for VMware, and $200
for Win2K, but it's a bit excessive for something that's just going to sit
in my basement passing packets around.

.Mike