Subject: Re: Proposal: Compression of large packets: fragmentation
From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith,AT,ieee,DOT,org>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 05:11:59 +0100

Josef Drexler wrote:
> This could be done by using zlib's compress() function, or to use a
> dictionary that we reset for each packet -- this might give better
> compression but needs coordination between both cipe peers.

If you are interested in real-time compression at a small ratio loss, be
sure to check out Oberhumer's LZ variant (GPL):
   http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/

Using tar, it actually outputs faster than tar with no compression
(because there is less to write), at a 3-5x speed improvement over GZip,
with only a 10-15% loss in ratio (text-binary), and a 8-15x speed
improvement over BZip2, with only a 15-25% loss in ratio (text-binary).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith,AT,ieee,DOT,org   chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org