Subject: Re: possible problem: documentation
From: Dragos <dragos.delcea,AT,farmexim,DOT,ro>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:50:52 +0100

On Thursday 27 December 2001 11:45 am, K. David Prince wrote:
> Hello Dragos,
>
> I've installed the cipe package directly from the Debian/Woody archive.
> There are two cipe packages:
>
> fw1:/etc/cipe# dpkg --get-selections | grep cipe
> cipe-common                                     install
> cipe-source                                     install
>
> The description for the source package says:

>  CIPE (the name is shortened from *Crypto IP Encapsulation*) is a
>  package for an encrypting IP tunnel device. This can be used to build
>  encrypting routers for VPN (Virtual Private Networks) and similar
>  applications.
>  .
>  After installing this and compiling a new kernel, run
>  make-kpkg --revision number modules_image
>  and you will get a cipe package for your kernel.
>
> Once you have installed these packages from Debian/Woody, you can read the
> documentation with the info command:
>
> fw1:/# info cipe
>
> I hope this helps!  If you can get this to work, please let me know.  I'm
> running this package on two firewall machines.  And, I've sent out several
> queries for help, but have not gotten any answers from anyone anywhere.
> Maybe we could put our heads together and get this thing going!
>
> By the way, I'm running kernel 2.4.17 with iptables support.
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Dragos wrote:
> > hello,
> > I've been following list for some time; now the time has come for me to
> > do some work (based on cipe); I'm supposed to do a vpn between two
> > points. I did a fresh install on two sistems (debian woody), got cipe
> > 1.5.2 archive, compiled (this is is the first try: ./configure; make;
> > make install); make install barks:
> > make: *** No rule to make target `cipe.texinfo', needed by `cipe.info'.
> > Stop. after it installs the binary files &all...
> > hope nothing gets else but documentation gets skiped;
> > ok, now to the problem: since I'm following the list for some time, I
> > have a general idea about what it's suposed to do and how it works, but
> > "the devil it's in the details" they say, for a good reason. I don't have
> > the documentation installed (see the error above), so I don't have a
> > starting point. I don't have a cipe.conf (or whatever) in /etc/cipe with
> > comments to start with.
> > some docs somewhere?
> >
> > dragos
hello Dave,
I saw them, but I'm just starting with debian and I'm not that comfortable
with the apt-{get;cache} thing; I didn't know how to find what version of
cipe apt would install; after some reading I found out that it's cipe 1.5.2,
the same I just installed by hand, so I'll remove it, and go the debian way...
I'll keep you current on my findings; by the way, I still run 2.4.16.

thanks, dragos