Subject: slow ftp authentication over cipe link?
From: Adam Haeder <adamh,AT,omaha,DOT,org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:03:49 +0100

Hello
I've had a cipe vpn in place for almost 2 years. I've had a few
intermittent problems with ftp, one going on right now. My main "hub" cipe
system is an older box running cipe-1.3. This box also runs firewalling
and masquerading for a small network. I've got numerous boxes connected
to this one over the internet, some cipe-1.3 all the way up to 1.5.2 (with
the bug-compatible enabled). The problem I'm experiencing is in ftp
authentication. If I try to ftp to a system over a cipe link (whether the
systems are 1.3 or 1.5.2), the server's ftp banner comes up after about 30
seconds, but I don't get a login prompt until almost 3 minutes later. It's
not a dns issue (all relevent hosts have entries in /etc/hosts on all
systems) and I've disabled AUTH lookups by the ftp server. Plus there is
minimal load on the system.
If I ftp straight into a machine (not over cipe) I am immediately connected.
What's
strange is that this has happened 4 or 5 times in the last few years,
usually happens for about 24 hours, and then goes away. I can't see any
rhyme or reason to it. All other connections (http, ssh, etc) do not
experience this problem. Anyone experience anything similar?

--
Adam Haeder
Technical Coordinator, AIM Institute