Subject: Re: cipcb.o unresolved symbol __read_lock_failed on 2.4.5
From: Keith Smith <keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:26:01 +0100

HeHe, Peter is right ...

Peter van den Heuvel wrote:

>>>Your kernel source does not match your running kernel.
>>>
>>Hmmm. I would have hoped that the kernel that comes with a distro would be
>>built from the sources included with it. However this does not surprise me
>>as 2.4.x support in Slackware seems to be a bit of an afterthought in most
>>areas.
>>
> Don't think so. For robustness sake 2.2 is the default, and still with
> good reason. Slack is my favorite for servers cause of it's simplicity
> and robustness. And yes, that does imply there are several things
> missing or will only appear after they got stable.

Distributed kernel sources are the raw kernel source tree, not configured the
way the distribution does it.  Since there are literally dozens of boot
kernels
for most distro's there would not be a single config.  Even with SuSE which
uses
inital rd and every trick in the book with modules, they don't give you the
running config in the kernel source tree.

I run mostly slack here.  I would NOT recomend the 2.4.5 kernel.  It is not
very
stable IMHO.  2.2.19 is good, and I've had success with 2.4.10, and now
2.4.17
seems to be pretty stable.  < 2.4.10 the DECchip/tulip driver was flat broken
for several different clone chipsets.  It's not Becker's driver anymore
either.
  We noted some other instabilities at 2.4.5, particularly if you are using
reiserfs.  I moved the machines we had running it to down 2.2.19 or up to
2.4.1[07].  I'm hoping 4.17 will solve some of the kernel nfsd issues we have.

> Transfer of the kernel is easy. I even make my own kernel .tgz packages

Peter is right, and for an appliance machine I use netboot and mknbi.linux.
You
don't even have to have all the other stuff.  Backup the vmlinuz on the
target,
Build cipe and your kernel, and FTP or tar the needed files onto a floppy.
Edit
lilo.conf to reflect the backup vmlinuz, and don't forget your
/lib/modules/{Version} files. Then just run lilo, and reboot.

I use GRUB on *all* my systems, you don't even have to run lilo with grub.
On
volitile systems I keep multiple linux binaries, and with grub (or if windows
just trashed your boot sector, a grub floppy!) I can just pick one of my
choosing visible on any bios supported disk.

--
Keith Smith                 keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com
655 W Fremont Dr