Subject: Re: cipcb.o unresolved symbol __read_lock_failed on 2.4.5
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,asylum,DOT,xs4all,DOT,nl>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:01:54 +0100

> Distributed kernel sources are the raw kernel source tree, not configured
>the
> way the distribution does it.  Since there are literally dozens of boot
>kernels
> for most distro's there would not be a single config.  Even with SuSE which
>uses
> inital rd and every trick in the book with modules, they don't give you the
> running config in the kernel source tree.
Slackware (maybe other distro's as well) give you the running config in
/boot. I think SuSe does it in /proc. Just copy that to the source dir
and do a "make menu config -> OK; make etc).

> I run mostly slack here.  I would NOT recomend the 2.4.5 kernel.  It is not
>very
> stable IMHO.  2.2.19 is good, and I've had success with 2.4.10, and now
>2.4.17
> seems to be pretty stable.  < 2.4.10 the DECchip/tulip driver was flat
>broken
> for several different clone chipsets.  It's not Becker's driver anymore
>either.
>   We noted some other instabilities at 2.4.5, particularly if you are using
> reiserfs.  I moved the machines we had running it to down 2.2.19 or up to
> 2.4.1[07].  I'm hoping 4.17 will solve some of the kernel nfsd issues we
>have.
Agree. Do note that from 2.4.10 onwards there are ext2 (and maybe ext3)
problems with the Adaptec AIC7XXX drivers. They hang during fsck so
there's a problem during boot. So 2.2 is THE choise, unless you realy
need some of the 2.4 features and can live with the bugs.