Subject: Re: Does PKCIPE need OpenSSL to run?
From: Nathan Neulinger <nneul,AT,umr,DOT,edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 03:54:11 +0100

Nils Lichtenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone help me out with the above question?
>
> And if OpenSSL is needet by PKCIPE to run, can someone give an estimate of
>how mutch space OpenSLL consumes (just the stuff to make
> it run, not to complie eg. sources)?
>
> I ask this questions, because I would like to run PKCIPE on a floppy based
>router, so every kb counts.

It has to be linked against the openssl libraries if that is what you
mean. You can do them shared or staticly linked. On my system, with
statically linked, pkcipe takes up 550k, but that is probably not optimal.

You might be able to rig up a more minimal openssl library build of some
sort to shrink it down though.

Also keep in mind, you wouldn't absolutely have to use pkcipe to get
it's functionality, but it does do things in a secure fashion.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul,AT,umr,DOT,edu