Subject: Re: Question on use
From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl,AT,charcoal,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:42:18 +0100

"dennis" <zenn,AT,optushome,DOT,com,DOT,au> writes:
> What is the common use for CIPE ?
> How can it be utilised in a corporate environment ?

There are two functions which operate simultaneously in CIPE.  One is
the encryption of potentially sensitive data as it traverses the
Internet, and the other is the creation of tunnels.  In the
terminology of the acronym VPN (virtual private network), the
"private" part is the encryption, and the "virtual" part is the tunnel.

For the former case, sensitive data is prevented from snooping by
interlopers, which ensures that corporate activities can occur over
the greater Internet without concern that the corporation's interests
will be compromised.

For the latter case, machines which are remotely strewn around the
world can appear to inhabit the corporate network environment.

As a concrete example, one of my CIPE connections is between my home
and Carnegie Mellon University.  I have an ordinary dialup ISP but my
default route is through this CIPE link.  The "virtual" part of this
connection is that I appear to be operating from a machine known as
mesquite.slip.cs.cmu.edu, which does not otherwise exist, and systems
in my home network have access to any facilities at CMU which are
restricted to hosts that are within its address space.  The "private"
part is that all traffic between myself and CMU is encrypted so that
no one at (e.g.) my ISP can monitor my link activity so as to see what
it is that I am doing -- my link activity is none of my ISP's business.

--karl