Subject: Texinfo Failure was: stable release: 1.5.2 fails to build
From: Keith Smith <keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:52:23 +0100

Chuck Mead sez>>
 >>The current stable release fails to build complaining about a problem
 >>with texinfo. The snapshot (cipe-snapshot-20020213.tar.gz) builds just
 >>fine and so did 20020210. As we are trying to incorporate cipe into
 >>Sorcerer GNU Linux (a source based distribution) it would be great if
 >>this problem could be fixed because we need a release version which
 >>will
 >>build and the current one will not build in our system.
 >>
 >>By the way... I did check the archives and found lots of people
 >>mentioning this problem but no fixes.

To which I humbly respond:

Well, value added is value added.  You might consider just looking at
the Makefile and seeing the cipe.texinfo file is missing.

Go to http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html

On the Right hand side of the screen under "Documentation" click on the
link that says "1.5.x" which is the texinfo file.  Place this file in
the cipe directory with the rest of the source renaming it to
cipe.texinfo.  This is mentioned as being "broken out" (my words) of the
source somewhere on the site.  Key word here is probably "broken"

Run 'make distclean'

Assuming you have tex & makeinfo etc it will then work just peachy.

OTOH, the package does actually build without it, and make install will
compile and install the kernel module and binaries where they go.

I'm not quite sure of the advantage of breaking out a 75K texinfo file,
but perhaps the author has something in mind for the next release.
There are several caveats on this package with permissions and "debug"
that you need to pay close attention to.  If you are not willing to
invest the time to fully examine the package I would suggest leaving it
off your distro.  Although this code works well, the overall packaging
could use some serious tweaking.  It isn't really make & run code, and
it's also kernel specific.

--
Keith Smith                 keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com
655 W Fremont Dr