Subject: Re: Texinfo Failure was: stable release: 1.5.2 fails to build
From: Keith Smith <keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:39:57 +0100

> issue... the issue is that "release" code does not build properly on
> Sorcerer (the distro) which is 100% source based. Sorcerer's package
> management system downloads the source from the original URL and builds
> it in situ. The system barfs on cipe (a wonderful program which we all
> want) because of s stupid missing file which would take the author 30
> seconds to put into the release! :-)

While I agree with the sentiment :).  That is the price of admission
into the "build a distribution" game.  It would appear you are trying to
put together a plug-and-go, with no modification to the original source
type distribution.  The closest to this is currently slackware, which is
why I subscribe to it.  Pretty much very vanilla linux, as opposed to
the shotgun distributions SuSE and Red Hat who modify and move
everything to where they think it needs to go.  Which makes it darn near
impossible to upgrade from raw source I might mention.

Still, I don't see the problem, just download *both* files.  This is not
unheard of, you must have some method of hitting a moving target on
where the distro source lays....  Just grab the 2 pieces, then run the
make?  This will fly without errors. (Assuming the TeX stuff is all there).

It is evident the author wants to move this direction anyway.

You may want to add --without-debug to your ./configure.  The
cipe_debug=0 (or debug_cipe or whatever) option on the modules still
gens excessive output.

Or just drop back to a release that works for you.

--
Keith Smith                 keith,AT,ksmith,DOT,com
655 W Fremont Dr